I’m currently working on an led chandelier consisting of 30 of pendant lights, each with about 80 leds. (That is ultimately going to be controlled by home-assistant.io)
I was originally trying to create something to handle a variety of animations from near scratch using the OLA python bindings, but then I came across the wonderful bibliopixel project.
While I’m still trying to step through all of the pieces of bibliopixel, it looks like a lot of the heavy lifting is taken care of. I will probably be using the recently created Artnet driver to send data to this pixel controller.
However, I do believe have some interesting challenges for my project:
- Interaction: I’m hoping to be able have real-time adjustable parameters for the animations (e.g. speed, color, brightness, frequency…Db).
- Simultaneous animations: I would like to be able to fade between active animations.
- RGB APA102 and WhiteWhiteWhite APA102: As this will also be used as a regular light, I’m also going to be using pure white pixels too, which throws a lot of the RGB assumptions out of the water.
- The layout: The design of each pendant will consist of 100 pixels (half RGB and half WWW) wrapped in a helix, candy cane style pattern around a piece of aluminum tube. I believe this should give me the most even spread of pure white light when needed.
- I’m hoping to be able to design effects using both a linear helix mapping as well as a translation into a more standard grid wrapped around a cylinder for effects that need vertical or horizontal movement
- Each pendant light is going to have xyz rotation parameters to indicate where it exists in space for handling animations spread across multiple pendants.
- Furthermore, the lights are going to be split across two spaces, so being able to segment an animation to a portion of the layout would be desired.
- The power consumption: I’m also looking to limit the total power consumption of each pendant so that I don’t have to have each light hanging by a thick cord. By treating each pendant as a unique object, I hope to be able to set a max total brightness, which would be used to to automatically scale down the array for each pendant as needed without compromising the brightness of a single lit pixel.
Hopefully I’ve not gone too far into the weeds with this, but I would be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts on how to overcome some of these challenges as it relates to the bibliopixel project.