Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allpixel USB cable length
I have an Allpixel setup and running well in my lightshowpi setup on a Raspberry Pi.  I'm running it with the short USB cable supplied with the Allpixel.  I'd like to move the strip further from the Pi.  I have a 15ft USB cable.  I have attempted to use it, but the AllPixel does not get recognized by the lightshowpi software when the longer cable is used.  I've tried it both with supplying separate power to the led's thru the barrel jack and just with power over the usb.  I get the same result either way.

Is there a limit to the length of the USB cable?

Thanks.

Ken

Here's the trace I get when I use the longer cable.

pi@piclock:~ $ start_music_and_lights

pi@piclock:~ $ Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/synchronized_lights.py", line 897, in <module>

lightshow.play_song()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/synchronized_lights.py", line 732, in play_song

result = PrePostShow('preshow', hc).execute()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/prepostshow.py", line 106, in execute

self.hc.turn_off_lights(True)

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/hardware_controller.py", line 246, in turn_off_lights

self.led.all_leds_off()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/led_module.py", line 133, in all_leds_off

self.led.update()

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bibliopixel/led.py", line 136, in update

d._update(self.buffer[pos:d.bufByteCount + pos])

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bibliopixel/drivers/driver_base.py", line 51, in _update

self.update(data)

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/lightshow_serial_driver.py", line 367, in update

self._com.write(packet)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 554, in write

raise SerialException('write failed: {}'.format(v))

serial.serialutil.SerialException: write failed: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs

func(*targs, **kargs)

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/synchronized_lights.py", line 199, in exit_function

hc.clean_up()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/hardware_controller.py", line 311, in clean_up

self.turn_off_lights()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/hardware_controller.py", line 246, in turn_off_lights

self.led.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bibliopixel/led.py", line 136, in update

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/bibliopixel/drivers/driver_base.py", line 51, in _update

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 554, in write

SerialException: write failed: [Errno 5] Input/output error

func(*targs, **kargs)

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/led_module.py", line 93, in exit_function

self.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

Error in sys.exitfunc:

func(*targs, **kargs)

self.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/synchronized_lights.py", line 897, in <module>

lightshow.play_song()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/synchronized_lights.py", line 732, in play_song

result = PrePostShow('preshow', hc).execute()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/prepostshow.py", line 106, in execute

self.hc.turn_off_lights(True)

self.led.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

func(*targs, **kargs)

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/synchronized_lights.py", line 199, in exit_function

hc.clean_up()

File "/home/pi/lightshowpi/py/hardware_controller.py", line 311, in clean_up

self.turn_off_lights()

self.led.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

func(*targs, **kargs)

self.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

Error in sys.exitfunc:

func(*targs, **kargs)

self.all_leds_off()

self.led.update()

self.update(data)

self._com.write(packet)

That was fast... they JUST added AllPixel support to LightShowPi as far as I know.
Well, 15 feet is not technically over the USB max spec (5m or 16.4 feet) but it's honestly probably just a bad cable. Even if it works with something else, it may not with the AllPixel partly because there's likely too much voltage drop over the length to power the AllPixel. Now, note that the AP *always* gets power for the actual chip running everything from USB. Doesn't matter what you connect to the barrel jack, it won't matter if the USB cable is not powering it correctly.

Best suggestion is to try a different cable and see what happens. You want one with the lowest gauge (as in thickest) internal wires so there's less voltage drop.
(10-31-2016, 01:19 PM)Adam Wrote: That was fast... they JUST added AllPixel support to LightShowPi as far as I know.
Well, 15 feet is not technically over the USB max spec (5m or 16.4 feet) but it's honestly probably just a bad cable. Even if it works with something else, it may not with the AllPixel partly because there's likely too much voltage drop over the length to power the AllPixel. Now, note that the AP *always* gets power for the actual chip running everything from USB. Doesn't matter what you connect to the barrel jack, it won't matter if the USB cable is not powering it correctly.

Best suggestion is to try a different cable and see what happens. You want one with the lowest gauge (as in thickest) internal wires so there's less voltage drop.

I was afraid of that.  I'll have to get another cable.

The AllPixel works great with the new version of LightShowPi.  I'm driving 8 sets of lights off the GPIO pins and one strand of 50 2811 lights.  Configuration options within LightShowPi are many.  I'm currently using it for Halloween, but will set up Christmas starting tomorrow.

(10-31-2016, 01:31 PM)kwalkerk Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 01:19 PM)Adam Wrote: That was fast... they JUST added AllPixel support to LightShowPi as far as I know.

I was afraid of that.  I'll have to get another cable.

The AllPixel works great with the new version of LightShowPi.  I'm driving 8 sets of lights off the GPIO pins and one strand of 50 2811 lights.  Configuration options within LightShowPi are many.  I'm currently using it for Halloween, but will set up Christmas starting tomorrow.

Does the fact that the green light on the AllPixel is on relevant to this question?

Does the fact that the green light on the AllPixel is on relevant to this question?