Maniacal Labs User Forum

Full Version: Art-Net Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Do you have any plans for Art-net support? I am looking in to purchasing a controller like this to drive my LED panels but want to stick to using professional stage lighting controllers (Chamsys/Avolites) which output on Artnet. I am particularly interested in something that could do a matrix of 600 pixels over 4 universes of Artnet.

Thanks, Dan
Dan,

There are plans and we are actively working on it but have no ETA as to when it will be available.
One thing that would help us is to know what lighting controllers specifically you plan to use? Also, would you be willing to try out some beta versions of the feature when available? We'd be happy to send you an AllPixel free of charge for the purpose.
Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me. I mainly use a Chamsys lighting desk but also use Avolites from time to time. The protocol they output (Art-net) is the same though. I would happily beta test some kit for you although after researching your products some more, I'm not really clued up on the Python side of things. I can tinker with code but I don't go much further than that so I'm not sure how much help I would be. I'll update my profile to include an email address if you want to get in touch!
As a user of art-net, I am particularly interested in being able to control more than 170 pixels (1 DMX universe) over one data line. I've used some Arduino code to control two dmx universes worth over one line so it's possible but I worry about it's reliability and processor speed of arduino. Hence why I am looking in to Allpixel as an option.

Dan
Evening all (or at least it is here),

Bumping this thread because I recently did something similar, creating 2x LED 'donuts' of around1700 pixels each. The original plan was to run 1 raspi per donut as an artnet decoder, running some python script that receives and parses the artnet data very reliably, into 4x allpixel . The issue I ran into was writing the array of RGB data to the allpixels, as once I was over 3 universes of data this would cause the output to be jittery. The end result was to use 1 pi and 1 allpixel per 430ish pixel strip, which gave me reliable output. However, this gave a very ungainly looking controller, so I'd quite like to go back to the original idea of 1 pi and 4 allpixels!

Is there anything I could try to make this work more smoothly? I tried multiprocessing and threading, but this gave equally variable results...